How to Choose and Install Your First Theme
This is part two of the How to Start a Blog series. If you would like to read or re-read the first article on How to Start a Blog, please click here.
Choosing a theme is an important step in making your blog that also allows you to be a bit creative since the theme makes up the look of your blog. For functionality purposes, you want your blog to be readable, and easy to navigate so that readers will want to return. Return readers make turning your blog into a business much easier. Having a great theme will allow for optimal functionality.
Choosing a Theme
The great part about WordPress is that you can preview each theme to see how it will look. This can give you a good idea of how you want to set up your content.
When setting up your theme remember that different types of blogs require different types of themes. For example, if you are trying to sell mainly products and do less blogging look for the themes that are specified for e-shops. They will be the ones with products listed on the front page. Each theme does have a description as to what it can be used for, as well, so take a look around and see what you like best.
It may take you a little time to go through everything, but try not to rush it. Allow it to be a fun process. After all, the look of your blog will have a major impact on everything else. If for some reason you don’t like the theme you chose, you can always change it, but you will probably have to update/change a few things which is why it’s important to have something you like from the start.
You can look for themes by logging into your WordPress clicking appearance > Themes .
Things to keep in mind with themes: try to include a theme with a side bar(place for an about me), header photo place(logo or other photo), is able to be used on multi devices(most themes should be updated for this anyway), and is relatively simple for easy navigation and reading.
To install a theme:
- Navigate to your “Dashboard”
- Hover Over “Appearance” then click “Themes”
- Click “Add New”
- Search for a theme
- Once you find a theme that you like you can click, “Install” to install it into a folder where WordPress.org keeps all your themes or preview to see a larger image.
- Once you are ready to install click install. After installing you should come to this screen.
- Click “Live Preview” where you can change the colors and set up to see if you like it before activating it.
- Once you get your blog looking how you want it to through customization click “Save & Activate” and your blog will be ready for action! Then you can move on to create your logo.
Now that you have installed the theme click here to move to step 3: How to create a Logo.
If you missed part 1 please visit here.
How to Start a Blog: FREE Email Course for Busy Parents
During this FREE email course, I will show you step by step how to set up a blog (so easy absolutely anyone could do it) and how to create an income with it.
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.